Monday, November 9, 2009

Reflections of Blog Exercise

When I first started teaching, my assistant principal always told me to be reflective of each day in the classroom. This exercise led me to focus on how I could be more productive on the processes that I performed each day. In a distance education program, there is a large amount of time spent alone with your studies. This allows the student to reflect on what is being learned. I appreciate this reflective opportunity and find blogs and wikis as a wonderful outlet for this process.

For this particular assignment, the reflective process allowed me to sort of slow down with the hustle and bustle of the course. I was able to take a step back and focus on what was going on. I am a distance learner studying about the processes and procedures of a distance education program. When I realized this, it was if I was in some type of twighlight zone episode. All of the theories, practices and technologies I was experiencing as I read.

The reflective blog process was very productive and enligtening. One minor suggestion is to have one or more guided questions for the reflective process. Of course the freedom was great, but its also nice to have your hand held every once in a while.

Tea

1 comment:

  1. This assignment was my first experience as a “blogger.” I always heard about blogging whether on the television or others talking about the term in a social setting. Like many, I might assume, I was somewhat anxious about expressing my ideas regarding the course readings where everyone can access my thoughts. Conversely, without hesitance I started to enjoy writing my thoughts. I agree with you on many aspects this assignment was surely an enlightening process. We are all reflective learners here and I think reading only a text book will not give us the well rounded knowledge that we all deserve. One major advantage that I can testify to in regards to “blogging” is that it has given teachers the opportunity to enhance student learning by using critical thinking skills. I have had the opportunity to blog my thoughts and give feedback to my classmates (constructive criticism or appraise) to other bloggers (classmates) in a collaborating setting.

    ReplyDelete