Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Know Thy Worth

Human Capital Theory is the name of the game and it keeps bringing me back to relationships. Many times, I have over heard another female exclaim, "I know MY worth and I am too good for that!" The issue is always about a man and how he devalues her in a relationship and she deserves so much more. This statement can be applied to another relationship, the employer/employee relationship. Does one not provide a service to that employer? Are one's skills and talents not compensated for? And recently, the most commonly quoted statement in the office place is "that is above my pay grade." Although the employee may know the answer or have a solution to the problem, they place a value on the information that they provide to others within the company.

By this same thought, knowing ones worth in a work environment, appears to be directly related to their educational standing. From what I can tell at this moment is that one's productivity is higher because of a higher level of education which in turn creates a higher salary. Productivity is not directly related to one's talent, skill, or social setting and does not present the same outcome.

I am really going to have to roll this concept around in my head for some time because at the moment, I don't have that strong of a grasp on it yet.

More to come on HCT.....

No comments:

Post a Comment